JUNE 19th through AUGUST 8th, 2015
Open First Friday – Art by Night, August 7th, 5-9 pm
and Saturday, August 8th, 2-4 pm.
Images from the Artist’s Opening on Friday, June 19, 5 pm to 10 pm
I paint directly on my skin, which I then photograph and print out digitally. The final images exist as digital prints on cotton rag paper.
- For years, I’ve been investigating gesture in painting and this implicates my whole body. The imagery plays on illusions of control, about our bodies and also about art. I started working this way (almost twenty years ago) as a way to find myself, literally, within the language of abstraction and reshape it based on my own experience.
- I also take photographs on the street and combine them with pictures from the studio. I use the camera to record evidence of movement, which I think about in relation to gesture. It’s all part of my continuing attempt to locate myself within shifting contexts.
- That sense of dislocation and change is perhaps why my work is a hybrid form, one that combines painting, photography and performance.
- As a media artist, I need to explore technology as a forum for global conversation.
- Since 2005, I’ve been traveling often to China and collaborating with video artists in Shanghai. Since then, I am also exploring what my art has to do with a calligraphic sensibility.
- Since 2011, I have been exchanging photographs – one each week, every Sunday without fail – with an artist in Berlin. Over time, we’re developing a rich correspondence and a shared sketchbook of visual ideas.
KATY MARTIN STUDIO
33-16 81st Street #21
Jackson Heights, NY 11372
Prints use archival inks printed on canvas or paper.
Limited edition, numbered prints in various sizes are available for sale.
Contact email@example.com for price information.